Wednesday 13 January 2010

If Carlsberg made music....


World Music VERSUS United Kingdom.

Originally I was going to to do a piece comparing American music against English music. Which is the best. Then I got to thinking.....

"The world makes great music. America usually 'originates' the best music....
LET'S FACE IT....
England takes this music, usually a short while afterwards. Evaluates this music, adds and amends and embraces. This is when we as Brits, take this genre and re-create and elevate...."

So there I could end this piece and say, Yup, the UK is head and shoulders musically above the rest of the world. But I think I may just write a little more here.

Quite simply, I do not watch Television, to the extent I used to anymore.

When I want to watch something I will, or I catch up on on of the various 'players' available here in the UK. If you can get the ITV player to work on Catch-up, you are a better person than me. I rely on the vastly superior BBCi player, thankyou.

I have always lived and loved music. My dad was a singer in the Clubs in England, part of a 'Harmonic-duo' who shared the stage with many famous luminaries, some still around today. They were called the 'Melchords' and my great regret was never seeing him sing as part of his act... I often heard my dad singing round the house, always pitch perfect harmonies to the records or radio playing in the background. I guess I got my love of music where most of us do..
Through our parents record collections!! <<<<>TRUE??
I suppose I got my love for the human voice listening to Acapella music and through various choral and non choral singing 'roles' as a kiddywinkles!! I took lead roles in school plays, but forgot many of the lines... most of the lines, in fact. I used to make them up.
I digress...

Don't get me wrong here, I love ALL music. I will try any type and genre and try to listen to everything new. In fact, with a country the size of, say, Canada... I bet even in Canada, there must be a Canadian, who isn't a Mountie, and may just have enough singing talent to scrape through to the live rounds of the British Version of the 'X-Factor......'

The American Idol and such programmes are all full of very 'pretty' people, but per capita, not very talented...

So... Jokes aside here. I listen to music 37 hours a day, 117 days a week. (As you see, my mathematic munificence may have suffered slightly through listening to music for too long:))

I don't like to pigeonhole music. Genres. Like buttons on the latest Video games consoles. FAR TOO MANY GENRES of music.

"There is nothing quite so embarrassing as mixing your metaphorical music genres..."

I have two types of music only.
Old music and New music.

This is quite funny. I have many 'genres' of music still to discover. I look forward to this.

"Music that is new and released today, becomes old music tomorrow."

Someone may suggest to me to listen to an 'old' song by Nina Simone, who I adore. So I listen. And it is a 'NEW' song to me. So I think what I am saying, is when does music ever age? When does it ever lose any relevance....?

Growing up, I seemed to spend a lot of time with people, my own age, and older, who were seriously restrictive in what they would listen to.. IE Punk or MOD.
I dressed eccentrically at times, still do to this day, when bothered... And back then, followed certain dress codes, often tied in with a certain genre of music. I was once sent home from school for wearing the latest baggy style Adidas Tracksuit in garish red, inspired by Grandmaster Flash....

But then when at home, I would plug my headphones in and listen to some classical music on the radio or on vinyl. Is it me, but, music definitely sounds so 'pure' on vinyl records!!

The one thing that America beats the world in?? Musicals.

OK.... Bollywood. I like some Bollywood epics. I find it quite amusing, but off putting at times when the actors or Beautifull actresses break into song and dance though, an acquired taste, but I enjoy the spectacle!!

Saturday Night Fever, Grease, West Side Story and Purple Rain... The list is endless. All American I see. (Apart from the Bee Gees!!)

So to finish. The WORLD really does make a sweet and sour mixture of music. I want to hear it all too.

As a musical nut, I never really got into Elvis. Not really looking to at this point in my life. But one day maybe..... He would have been 75 this year.

Hope you enjoy reading this. I pre wrote it and the completely ignored the piece I had written by longhand using a real pen and paper!!

<(ovo)> Rob. xx 13.01.10 23.15

*************************************************************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment